Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill Accessibility Statement
Due to the historic and natural features of Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill, accessibility to guests with physical disabilities can be challenging. In order to provide the best possible experience to all guests, Shaker Village strives to accommodate guests with disabilities by providing alternative experiences, including several tour programs, demonstrations and exhibits that are accessible to everyone. With advance notice, we will make every effort to respond to special needs.
Our goal is to provide as much information as possible to guests before their visit to Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill. Shaker Village is a 3,000 acre living history museum and historic buildings are spread throughout the property. The terrain is often rough and the village has many uneven limestone sidewalks and gravel paths. All of the restored 19th century buildings have from two to ten, or more, steps and no elevators are available. Because of the sizable nature of the property, parking (even Handicapped spaces) is at a distance from building entrances.
Please review the following information. If you have additional questions about accessibility or special needs, please call 800.734.5611 extension 1550 or email email@example.com.
Wheelchair and Walker Accessible Activities & Buildings
- Trustees' Office Dining Room (lift on side of building – Please use the call button beside the lift or have someone in your party notify the hostess that you need to use the lift)
- Carpenter's Shop Craft Store (ramp on side of the building)
- Dixie Belle riverboat cruises (weather permitting, admission fee is required for all)
- Shaker Life Exhibit in East Family Dwelling cellar
- Centre Family Dwelling cellar with exhibit and costumed interpreters
- Historic Farm area and demonstrations and talks
- Shaker Life and Beliefs talk (weather permitting)
- Village tour map – showing images of buildings with descriptions of their historic uses
- Meeting Areas A and B (lift on side of West Lot building)
- Public Restrooms (near Welcome Pavilion, Shaker Life Exhibit and Trustees' Office)
Services for Guests with Disabilities
- Guests who use wheelchairs or walkers are not charged village tour admission. However, please visit the ticket sales area to obtain a complimentary ticket for admission.
- With prior notice, a certified hearing interpreter can be provided for guests with a hearing impairment. Please call 800.734.5611 extension 1550 more than two weeks prior to your visit to request this service.
- Two wheelchairs are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Wheelchairs are stored at the Welcome Pavilion. Please see Welcome Pavilion or Carpenter's Shop Craft Store staff to obtain a wheelchair. No other modes of transportation are available.
- Music performances and some crafts demonstrations may be moved outside for the benefit of guests who use wheelchairs or walkers (weather permitting). Please speak to a costumed interpreter during your visit to request this service.
- Dining room servers are available to read menus to guests who have a vision disability.
Wheelchair and Walker Inaccessible Activities & Buildings (with steps)
The Inn at Shaker Village
- Inn guest rooms (four rooms in the West Family Sister's Shop are accessible by 2 steps, these are the closest rooms to ground level available)
- No elevators are available. Many guest rooms are located on the second, third and fourth floors of historic buildings. Some stairways are narrow.
- Winter Kitchen (open January 2 through mid-February) 12 steps
- Furniture Display and Artist Gallery in Ministry's Workshop – 7 steps
- Post Office Craft Store – 4 steps
- Centre Family Dwelling Floors 1, 2 and 3 – 10 steps into first floor
- East Family Sister's Shop (spinning and weaving demonstrations) - 6 steps
- East Family Brethren's Shop (wood working and broom-making demonstrations) - 2 steps
- East Family Wash House - 2 steps
- Cooper's Shop (coopering demonstrations) - 2 steps
- Meeting House (music programs) - 11 steps
- Horse-drawn wagon rides
- Meeting Area C – 2 steps to enter building; the only restrooms are on the 2nd floor.
- Meeting Area D – 2 sets of stairs to access meeting area.